Andrea S. Callanen, PT, MPT
- Over 20 years experience as a pediatric physical therapist and treating congenital muscular torticolllis (CMT), plagiocephaly, and motor skill development.
- Recognized as an expert in her field; guest speaker at national conferences sponsored by both Hanger and Orthomerica on the multidisciplinary approach to the evaluation and treatment of CMT and plagiocephay
- Master of Physical Therapy. Shenandoah University. Winchester, VA.
- Bachelor of Science in Science-Business. University of Notre Dame. Notre Dame, IN.
Since 2009, published multiple peer reviewed papers for CINAHL’s Rehabilitation Reference Center an evidence-based clinical reference site for physical, occupational, and speech therapies
Professional Experience Prior To Opening Looking Ahead Pediatric Physical Therapy, PLLC In Novermber 2014
- ST. JOSEPH’S MEDICAL CENTER (Mission Viejo, CA)
- WEST COAST PHYSICAL THERAPY-MISSION INTERNAL MEDICAL GROUP (Laguna Niguel, CA)
- RADY CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL (San Diego, CA)
- KENNEDY KRIEGER INSTITUTE (Baltimore, MD)
- JOHNS HOPKINS BAYVIEW MEDICAL CENTER (Baltimore, MD)
- Member of APTA, TPTA, Pediatric Section Member
- Member of APTA, CPTA, Pediatric Section Member
- Member of the Monogram Club. University of Notre Dame
- Recipient of Athletic Scholarship. University of Notre Dame
- Moved to the suburbs of Nashville from Southern California with her husband and two children.
- Enjoys an active lifestyle with her family including traveling, skiing, running, and cooking healthy meals. Both children play soccer, basketball, golf, and swimming
- She coaches with Tennessee Soccer Club and volunteers her time to support many programs within the school and church communities
All clinicians at Looking Ahead Pediatric Physical Therapy are licensed in the state of Tennessee as a physical therapist (PT), which requires licensure through the state of Tennessee Department of Health, Board of Physical Therapy Examiners. Physical Therapists are required to renew their licensure every two years, including completion of continuing education hours.
In addition, all physical therapists have either a doctorate or master's degree in physical therapy from a school accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association.
Dr. Jessica Smith, PT, DPT
- Doctorate of Physical Therapy University of Michigan, Flint.
- Bachelor of Science Central Michigan University
- Experience in multiple pediatric settings including outpatient, school-based, home health and skilled nursing rehabilitation.
- Advanced TMR TOTs trained in 1, 2, 3
- Advanced training in torticollis and plagiocephaly
- Member of the American Physical Therapy Association, Tennessee Chapter and Pediatric Sections
I am originally from Michigan! After getting married and graduating with my DPT in 2013, I moved to southern Alabama for 5 years and then found home here in Murfreesboro, TN in 2018. Been practicing pediatric therapy since graduating in 2013 (10 years).
I am married and have 2 little ones, Colton and Evelyn; I love doing art projects, building forts with the kids, painting, being outdoors, traveling back home to see family.
Personal experience: My son had torticollis and plagiocephaly due to a breech positioning in utero. The difficulties with breastfeeding, poor tummy time tolerance and reflux, gave me an entirely different outlook on my treatments and how I connected with parents as a mom and a physical therapist. My expectations changed drastically since I was experiencing first-hand what it was like to be on that side! I love the 1:1 experience that I get working with infants and families here at Looking Ahead. I am blessed with the ability to share my own stories as a mom as well as my clinical expertise to hopefully make their own journey as parents less stressful and more enjoyable without having to constantly worry about how their baby is developing.
Dr. Olivia Vanderveer, PT, DPT
- Doctorate of Physical Therapy Georgia State University
- Bachelor of Science Kennesaw State University
She has been practicing in outpatient pediatrics for over two years and has gained experience working with a variety of diagnoses including CP, torticollis, developmental delay and orthopedic injuries.
She is originally from Marietta, Georgia but made the move to Nashville after finishing school. Spends her free time attending sporting events, being on the lake, snowboarding and hanging out with friends/family. She loves to travel and never turns down a weekend getaway to explore a new place.
Dr. Rachel Schmidt, PT, DPT
- Doctorate of Physical Therapy Belmont University
- Bachelor of Science Belmont University
Dr. Rachel Schmidt has 5 years of experience working in pediatrics as a physical therapist. She has treated kids of all ages with a wide variety of diagnoses including cerebral palsy, spina bifida, autism, down syndrome, toe walking, and torticollis.
In her free time, she enjoys riding her bike, snow skiing, and visiting National Parks. Rachel joined the Looking Ahead team in June 2022. When asked what she enjoys about working at Looking Ahead she responded, “The close knit team at Looking Ahead along with the deep knowledge of the other clinicians make it a great place to work. I also enjoy working with infants and toddlers because I love seeing them progress so quickly with their new skills.”